Before You Call a Strategic Mentor
These questions are designed to help you maximize your strategic mentoring contact. Take time to reflect on them before making contact and you will be better prepared to receive the counsel you desire.
STEP ONE: Pray! Seek wisdom and clarity from God at the beginning and throughout the process.
STEP TWO: Name your challenge.
- What are you facing?
- What is your goal/ objective? I.e. What are you hoping for if all goes well on the other side of this?
STEP THREE: Reflect on your challenge
- What are the different aspects of this challenge?
- What areas of your ministry may be impacted by this challenge? In what ways?
- What risks/ barriers are you facing?
- What options are you considering?
- What will you have to trust God for?
- What are your current resources?
STEP FOUR: Prepare your key questions.
- What do you need to know or learn?
- What questions do you have about your challenge?
- What experiences do you need/ lack?
- Prioritize what you need to learn.
STEP FIVE: Prepare to Listen. (attitude, heart and body)
- Be sure to schedule and protect the time you set aside for this conversation.
- Focus on the conversation- this is not time to check your e-mail.
- Be ready to take good notes to remember key insights you gain.
- Be sure to listen and ask follow up questions where you would like clarity.
STEP SIX: Make contact for your mentoring session.
STEP SEVEN: Prayerfully process the insight and determine the plan to face your challenge.
- What insight do you need to take into account?
- What are the similarities and differences in your context and what impact could they make?
- What are the critical steps for you?
- What further help will you need?
- What leaders do you need to help in your ministry?
- What is God leading you to do based on His word, prayer and the insight you have received?