STEP ONE: Seek wisdom and clarity from God at the beginning and throughout the process. (i.e. pray and seek holiness before the Lord)
STEP TWO: Identify your challenge.
- What are you facing?
- What is your goal/ objective?
STEP THREE: Reflect on your challenge
- What are the different aspects of this challenge?
- What areas of your ministry may be impacted by this challenge? In what ways?
- What risks/ barriers are you facing?
- What options are you considering?
- What will you have to trust God for?
- What are your resources?
STEP FOUR: Prepare your key questions.
- What do you need to know or learn?
- What questions do you have about your challenge?
- What experiences do you need/ lack?
- Prioritize what you need to learn.
STEP FIVE: Prayerfully seek the experience you need in the database.
- Who has experience with the kind of challenge you are facing?
- Who of those with experience is likely to understand your ministry context?
- Where is God leading your heart as you scan possible mentors on the website?
- Contact the potential mentor in the way they prefer.
STEP SIX: Prepare to Listen. (attitude, heart and body)
- Be sure to schedule and protect the time you set aside for this conversation.
- Focus on the conversation- this is not time to check your e-mail.
- Have plenty of paper to write what is shared
- Be sure to listen and ask follow-up questions where you would like clarity.
STEP SEVEN: Make contact for your mentoring session.
STEP EIGHT: Prayerfully process the insight and determine the plan to face your challenge.
- What insight do you need to take into account?
- What are the similarities and differences in your context and what impact could they make?
- What are the critical steps for you?
- What leaders do you need to help in your ministry?
- What is God leading you to do based on His word, prayer and the insight you have received?